Asparagus Risotto with Pan Fried Scallops
This is another fantastic asparagus recipe from our friends at British Asparagus which combines a creamy risotto with two of our favourite things, local asparagus and scallops.
- Feeds: 2
- Time: 50 mins
- 250g asparagus (chopped into thirds)
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots (chopped finely)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 200g arborio rice
- 60ml white wine
- 500ml hot fish or vegetable stock
- 200g scallops
- Finely grated rind of lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 50g grated parmesan
- To start, bring a pan of water to boil and briefly blanch the asparagus. Drain the asparagus and refresh in cold water then set to one side.
- Melt 30g of butter in a large pan, add the finely chopped shallots and garlic and cook gently until soft. This should take about five minutes.
- Add the rice and allow to cook, stirring for a minute or so then pour in the wine and allow to bubble.
- Add a ladleful of hot stock and stir until absorbed, keep going until all the stock is incorporated.
- When the risotto is almost ready, add the asparagus and give it a stir. Put a lid on, turn the heat off and let it rest.
- Heat 20g of butter in a frying pan and when foaming, put the scallops in the pan and allow to cook for a couple of minutes until they are nicely browned. Turn them over and cook on the other side.
- Meanwhile, add the lemon zest, chopped chives and seasoning to the risotto.
- Serve the risotto in wide bowls with the scallops on top and parmesan on the side, to sprinkle.