Asparagus Chicken and Spinach Orzo
One of our favourite asparagus recipes from British Asparagus which is ever so tasty and easy to whip up.
- Feeds: 4
- Time: 35 mins
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 banana shallots (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 200g orzo
- 100ml chicken stock
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- Zest and juice of lemon
- 115g baby spinach
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Season the chicken and add it to the pan then continue frying until it's golden all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
- Add another 2 tsp of olive oil to the pan and sauté the shallots and garlic for a couple of minutes until they start to soften. Add the orzo, give it a good stir and then add the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the asparagus, put the lid back on and simmer for another five minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, cooked chicken and the spinach and cook for a further few minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the spinach is just wilted.
- Stir through the parmesan and serve with extra on the side.
- Your jam can be stored for up to one year in a cool, dry place although once opened, it should be refrigerated.